15 February 2010

Re-debugging

One of the new scripts that I had authored suddenly and decidedly ceased working on my test server yesterday afternoon.  The remainder of Sunday was spent bug hunting for the cause of the problem which, I am relived to report, was resolved – but only after hours of debugging and re-debugging.

I typically enjoy debugging but yesterday's experience was frustrating.  I have no idea what I did that caused the initial failure, but I am grateful that the problem occurred while I was still in control of the script.  When a script breaks on the live server, well, that typically means three weeks of shame-time shared with a broken script.

I have a couple of other scripts that need committing this evening before the the file depository gets closed for the move.  I won't jinx myself by wishing for a drama-free evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment