04 May 2010

Shepherds and Sheep

I had talked to a couple of GMs about creating a "Shepherd's Quest," the type of quest where the player is responsible for shepherding an NPC from one location to another while keeping the NPC alive.  The NPC would be killable by monsters, so the player (or group of players) would need to defend the NPC.  I had scratched my head on how I would get an NPC to follow a player around, and this evening I stumbled across a solution.

I was in the Newbie Hall with another GM trying to troubleshoot a problem and noticed that the Combat NPC would follow the player to whom it spoke.  This is exactly what I need for the "Sheep AI" – the script to make the NPC follow a specific player.

It's funny where I find answers to problems, even while working on unrelated issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment