21 November 2011

Filter Denied

Today was a mixed day of productivity for me.

I wrote a new support script for a small upcoming quest, and then – while it was on my mind – turned my attention to a quest that has been simmering on the back burner for some while.  I launched my test server and tested the script over and over again, but the script was behaving unpredictably.

See (and this is where I get a little technical) we have some pretty cool filtering functions to support our scripts.  We can place a filter on a door that would translate into "allow only fighters to pass through this door" (a handy thing to have on the Fighter's Guildhall to keep those nosy mystics away), and we can also have a fancier filter that would translate into "allow everyone except fighters to pass through this door."  The former function is handled by the filtering function, while the latter is handled by the individual script calling the filtering function.

This means that not every script will support this exclusionary logic, and sho'nuff, the script which I was using for my quest did not support this style of filtering.  It took me two hours of debugging to realize that.

Good grief!

No comments:

Post a Comment