05 April 2012

The Pensive April Fool

I have closed access to the April Fool's Day areas.  Here are some thoughts about the Magical Kingdom area:
  • This small area introduced some new quest mechanic concepts, including "monster spawns on demand," "quest NPCs which kill players failing to meet the quest prerequisites," and "conditional repeatable hunt master quests"
  • I was a bit surprised that the Magical Kingdom area took four days to find
  • I will need to improve the way that spawns are handled, giving the NPC clearer speech to indicate when a spawn has been triggered
  • The quest reward item needs to be a little more durable (done for V750)
  • I laughed with delight upon seeing "invisible" players in Clan Lord
  • In hindsight, I probably should have added an NPC which healed fallen players, since I was introducing an NPC which killed players
  • Perhaps the next quest NPC using the death-on-failure mechanic should start off a little easier and include a couple of warnings prior to killing the player instead of killing the player outright on the first bump ("This time I've given you only a minor scratch of a wound, but next time I'll go straight for your heart!")
  • The Ninja quest should have been the last of the three quests
  • I see some potential in a rock-paper-scissors approach to quests: making one choice opens one door but closes another






Any other thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Pardon me for not finishing that quest. I was with a fighter, and the stuff didn't respawn after too many were killed anyway. It seemed possible I might have been able to kill enough on my own to do the quest as a healer, but I am not sure. Was it intended to be available to others besides fighters? I am not sure most would be able to complete it. I didn't see if there was supposed to be a group experience thing, or maybe I got it mixed up with a boss post you made earlier.

    Lorikeet

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't really clear if the spawns were triggered. From what I've seen, spending quite a bit of time doing the quests myself or helping others, the pirates were spawning like crazy, while the ninja spawns were barely the amount required and at a much lower rate (meaning that a few people just gave up after failing it several times). If there was an intended order, I guess I was lucky :)

    For Lori: I think the pirates and ninjas were pretty doable for a healer, specially one with Bodrus. Not as sure about the zombies which were apparently tougher (but I couldn't say for the atkus required, they, at least, had more histia). I don't think there was any group experience (and pretty sure you mixed up with the boss post).

    I enjoyed doing it mostly though, but I'm sure it can be improved (and of course, the addition of spiders would largely contribute to its improvement :P).

    I liked the sequence of challenges, wether or not they need to start at one point and go in order or not. The quest reward was fun (a pity it breaks so fast, I've seen some unlucky players having the jar breaking on first use), and the fact that it is an item that can be given to other exiles allowed at least one more to enjoy it. The quest wasn't either too hard to figure out but still required a bit of time (but again, maybe I was just lucky with the order if it was important). Reward wise, experience from what I've seen was fairly poor, but the item fun (and the challenges were repeatable, which I guess explains why the exp drop out was small).

    I know a couple of kids who will be disappointed if the area is now closed, but I guess that if it was open for nearly a week, that was to be expected. An entrance in a nearly never crossed snell delayed its discovery quite a bit I guess.

    Gremlins

    ReplyDelete
  3. And we need more Stealth trainers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about not making everything with Fighters in mind? Good grief! For a game that claims to not be biased towards the fighter class, you're doing a poor job proving it! I was so annoyed when I went into the Wizard of Oz realm and couldn't even talk to NPC's without being surrounded by panthers. Then I had to take 15 minutes to kill them off one by one and then they respawned!! I shouldn't NEED a fighter attached to my hip to enjoy the "extra" fun things you put in the game on Holidays, that's absolute BS.

    --Pissed off Zo, Mehan.

    ReplyDelete