22 March 2012

Ready For A Change

I can't believe that I got everything done, although after staying awake past 2:00am, I am certainly paying for my labors this morning.  Nothing that several cups of coffee can't cure!

There were two scripts that I wanted to modify and both goals were achieved. The first change concerned one of my favorite scripts which powers "itemless" quests.  One of the issues that I discovered whilst using this script is that there is more math than there needs to be: I struggled to find the sum of bit fields, such as 2^15 + 2^11 + 2^7 + 2^0.  I created a shortcut for this script which eliminated my need to provide the calculations; the script now cheerfully does this math for me.

The second change was a little nerve-wracking, as it involved adding a new feature to our filtering function.  I am always nervous when modifying any of the major scripts, and filter.func is a major script.  I added a small hook which enables other scripts (such as sayinitstring, our major speech script, or the reward script which runs almost all of the New Ash quests) to check the bits of an itemless quest.  This opens a lot of options for quests and, in a weird way, nearly eliminates the need for the itemless quest script itself.

And as a bonus I added some giant spider-chickens.  These monsters are both terrifying and a challenge and okay no I didn't really do that.  Updating those two scripts were challenging enough!

I am ready for the changes of V747!

9 comments:

  1. You're awesome Yappy. Thanks for working on Clan Lord and doing such great work.

    I'm really really really excited about the changes that are in store.

    Shadowcat Ridge Ho!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there I was hoping to meet these mighty spider-chickens and now all I can think is Yappy ruined my life, again !
    aa is considering bugging daily the lack of spider chickens now…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spider-chicken, spider-chicken, does whatever a spider-chicken does...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get that new 60 snell area in this update? 8B~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The areas are in, but cover numerous (different) projects. They look good!

      Delete
  5. I've not found one new snell, nor has anyone I've asked, across the broad world of clan lord. are these snells in game and accessable? I've checked ash, all the islands, estuary... o_0
    they nowhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These areas are referred to in the What's New notes as "work continues on multiple projects." They are not yet public.

      Delete
  6. ooooo! ok thanks Yappy! I didn't see that note when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doh, the actual note reads "Development and testing continues on new projects." But yeah, most of my new material submitted for this update are for upcoming projects.

      And when I say "my new material" I really mean "material that was produced by my KA helpers."

      Delete