13 December 2009

Torn between to lovers

I have been asked to provide a quest for V630. The quest itself is not the problem, but I must decide between two very different engines to run the quest.

My first choice is to use a script called itemless_quest.npc.  This script utilizes a simple way of conducting quests which involves bumping a number of NPCs in a specific order.  I like these quests because they're light and breezy and, as the name implies, there is no reliance on items.  No worries about managing inventory space!

I have a soft spot in my heart for this script because it is one of the first scripts that I studied in earnest.  I loved the script for its simplicity and I wanted to expand its capabilities and apply some back-end improvements.  I had a lot of help and guidance from the other GMs on bringing this script up to code (ha ha).  This is a script that I know.

My other choice for a quest engine is a simple little script called sayinitstring.  Unlike itemless_quest.npc, this script was not written to handle quests, but instead it behaves like a parrot: you supply the NPC with some words to say, and it spouts this text when a player bumps into it.  As a young GM I was advised to use this script for everything because it did everything.  I took this advice to mean "it does everything like make your NPCs talk, whisper and provide fancy action boxes."  Using this script for quests never entered my mind because I had never seen examples of it used that way.  It was just a parrot-script.

And then New Ash Island opened, and my jaw dropped.

The quest scripter for New Ash took this common parrot-script and demonstrated that NPCs could give sophisticated, conditional responses to individual players.  And that the NPCs could conditionally give and accept items.  And conditionally manipulate player data. And conditionally issue rewards.  I no longer saw sayinitstring as a parrot-script: this was a quest genie!  And what really blows my mind is that these robust Ash NPCs share the very same script that runs simple-spoken Joe in Puddleby's jailhouse.  Unbelievable.

I will need to make my decision soon.  I love itemless_quest.npc, but I also love sayinitstring.  I'm torn between to lovers, feeling like a fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment