22 December 2009

Clan Lord and the art of Impressionism

The Great and Powerful Oz said it best when he said to ignore the man behind the curtain.

Looking behind the curtain in Clan Lord is a lot like learning the technique behind an impressive magic trick: all of the charming mystery is taken away and, in my opinion, spoils the fun of the illusion.  I still play regularly, but I view events within the game for their mechanics and technique, not for the sleight-of-hand.  I miss the days where, as a player, I would wonder about a quest or a puzzle.  Now I can just look at the answer, and I find that it's a lot less satisfying having the answer so readily accessible.  I'm training myself to stop spoiling my own fun.

I'm trying to censure what I log here in this journal: how much do I say?  And when I say something, will it spoil the fun of Clan Lord?  I don't mind sharing my thoughts on design, but I try to paint my thought using broad, vague strokes.  And, sticking with the painting analogy, Clan Lord is kind of like a Monet painting: it's better enjoyed from a casual distance rather than scrutinized up close.

No comments:

Post a Comment