11 December 2009

Math, my nemeses

I had always felt that using proper grammar was a personal challenge (I don't speak too good), but after encountering a scripting problem, I find myself facing an old ghost: math.

I have allowed my advanced math skills to atrophy over the years.  "I'll never need algebra or geometry to balance a check book," I would joke, and I am pleased to report that, on this particular point, I have been correct.  Shielded by smug confidence of never needing to calculate the angles of a triangle, I have allowed my advanced math skills to reduce to vague, unpleasant memories associated with school.

And now I need that knowledge, which means that I am (again) a timid student of math, but this time I have an older man's appreciation for the simplistic beauty of equations like Thales' theorem.  If I had been told in school "someday you'll need this knowledge for scripting video games," then I would have geometric equations memorized and as readily accessible as Monty Python quotes.

It's true that other GMs have already scripted these equations.  Their routines are easily copied-and-pasted, but copy-and-paste will never make me a better math student.

No comments:

Post a Comment