12 August 2010

Artte, Ye Olde Fashioned Wayye

I am in the process of designing some art.  I had tried using Photoshop to design the images, but I found a disconnect between my hand, the mouse and what I was seeing on the screen (which is probably related to my being left-handed and clicking the mouse right-handed).  My solution was to turn off the computer and do the artwork the Olde Fashioned Wayye: pen and paper.

It has been a while since I've drawn on paper, and it was satisfying to undertake an activity that did not involve a computer.  As a side benefit, I found that I had completed the process much faster than if I had attempted drawing the images digitally.

I am amused that I found it more efficient to use an old form of medium (pen and paper) for creating content for a digital game.

6 comments:

  1. Have you tried using a pen tablet, like a Wacom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn, beaten to the post!

    Doing any kind of drawing with a mouse is very difficult, even for talented artists.

    There are pens and tablets that are very inexpensive so if you plan on doing art regularly it would be a very good investment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not tried using a tablet. I played with one while at PAX East and I recall being impressed. I also recall a price of around $800, and I could justify spending that cost for my casual needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you can check on line. Looks like they have small, medium, and large tablets, starting from under $300. You could go somewhere and try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always draw with pencil and scan it in and photoshop to darken or whatever. I never got used to the tablet thing personally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Daimoth: yeah, that's going to be my modus operandi.

    ReplyDelete