21 September 2010

Sharecads, Shareheals and Shares

I had the idea of creating in-game support for sharecads-like healing, but I remain unconvinced that it is a good idea.

I assume that most players are aware of sharecads, but if you are new to Clan Lord and never heard of it: sharecads is a macro (originally written by Prince Valiant) which enables a player to automatically share with the healer who is healing that player.  Gorvin has written a sophisticated, updated version of this macro and has it available on his web page.

The sharecads macro is very clever in its application, but it has numerous limitations: it only works if a healer is healing a player with the caduceus (or "cad" for short, hence the macro's name "sharecads"); the macro does not support those healers using the moonstone, nor is there support for the asklepian; and the functionality of the macro relies on scraping the text log for keywords via the macro variable @env.textLog.

For a long while I had felt that the ideal sharecads macro would be more of a "shareheals" macro, in which the macro would be aware of all healing sources and enable the player to automatically share with healers supplying the healing.  I had envisioned that this healing information would be supplied by the server – not the text log – in the form of the macro variable @my.heals.  This value, in theory, would be updated every frame and it would contain a list of the last five healers to provide any healing to the player, either by moonstone, caduceus or asklepian.  New healers would be added to the front of the list, and healers that have ceased to provide healing would be removed from the list.  In theory.

I was initially excited about the potential of this macro support.  A macro scripter could compare the list of names held within @my.shares_out to the list of healers held within @my.heals and determine which healers required a share and which ones could be unshared and delegate a new share as desired and ––

And then I paused, stepped back from this idea and asked myself exactly what problem am I trying to solve?  I became so caught up in the technicalities of the design that I had lost sight of its purpose.

At its core, the purpose of sharecads is to facilitate efficient healing.  The healer using a cad (typically) gets a share from the player running the sharecads macro, and only five healers may benefit from this macro.  I may be wrong, but sharecads seems to be a situational macro, one that is used under a specific set of circumstances.  I can't speak for the frequency of use, but it has been my observation that sharecads is most popular during invasions and events where a large party consists of more than five healers.  I imagine that this macro is less popular in smaller parties that consist of two or three healers.

This lead me to think: instead of relying on a macro to haphazardly share the last five healers to heal a player by a caduceus, wouldn't it make sense to offer an option of allowing more than five healers to efficiently heal one player – without the need of sharing the healers?  For example, suppose that players had access to an item, something like an orga eye, which when held in the player's right hand then that player would be healed almost as efficiently as if that player had shared the healer?  Would such an item be a reasonable alternative to the sharecads macro?

I see pros and cons for such an item.  The pros are that the unsharing player gets healed almost as efficiently as a sharing player, and all healing styles (stoners and cadders) may equally enjoy the benefits of this efficiency.  Players using this item also retain control over their shares instead of relying on the disorderliness of sharecads-assigned shares.  The cons are that such an item requires inventory space, and cadding healers would not automatically receive a share from healing a player holding this hypothetical item.

Allow me to be clear: this idea is no where near to being "on the list."  This is all vaporware, and I view this example as an interesting challenge in design.  And as I stated, I am not convinced that my idea is a good idea.

But I still think about it.

10 comments:

  1. I think the main issue for me is that of being a moonstone healer. During the trillbane hunt (I went as a healer), I was often down to *one* fighter share... which not only means that I was healing people inefficiently, but also means that I wasn't getting much experience at all, if any. And since people rely heavily on sharecads, they don't care at all about the healers trying to heal them, and won't manually share you (almost ever).

    I've tried working around this by switching to the asklepian staff (because I burst), doing a /use next to someone to trigger the sharecads macro, and *then* switching back to moonstone... but it's hard and very wasteful. I use up all my spirit and a fair amount of health (because I have no proximus) for the few frames I'm 'ranged healing', and I can also lose a high amount of health (and all spirit) by accidentally bumping someone during that period that I don't want to (because no one is shared).

    If you had something like @my_heals, then at least my healer would be able to get some shares during a hunt. No wonder people don't like playing non-cad healers - we're discouraged by things like sharecads! Also, if touching someone with a moonstone gave them the same sort of 'you feel healing energy', that would work too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got used to people using sharecads on big hunts. It's not a problem for me now--I only heal fighters and mystics who share or healers, and there are enough of them to keep me busy. The problem is with bursting, which wasn't mentioned in your examples. It would be pretty hard, I imagine, to trigger some kind of share with a burst, because by the time it is given, it's too late. The way the mechanics work now, the difference between my bursting a sharer and a nonsharer is about 33 histia, and the health hit on me is identical. There is nothing more annoying than going to burst a sharer and have them unshare in the middle when I can't stop my forward motion. Oops :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem I have with sharecads, and i see it happen reasonably often when people yell "share cads on" is some healers literally just cycle through people so they stay shared and actual healing is secondary. Ya know during those huuuge mob hunts.

    its why I still refuse to this day to use sharecads

    Instead!! I typically pick out a few healers I know are going to focus on healing me and i /share /lock a few of them (like... Lori) and then use my other open slots to cycle through other healers who actually heal a decent amount of time. If i lose sight of the /locked healers or move to another front of the battle I reshuffle my shares to who is actually healing me, consistently, not for just a brief moment.

    Its really funny seeing someone heal you for a brief moment.. pause.. and repeat every few moments. then they ask you if you have share cads on. Litterally *wub* Or if you were sharing them and the unshare for another healer they walk by and try to do a quick *wub* to get their share back and keep moving.

    If I'm getting focused by a bunch of people, yeah I'll share who i can and kill a few things so they get some xp, but if a healer gives you a tiny *wub* and thats it... no dice share thief. You are bizzarro helping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cadspam is ... annoying. I try to do my best to lock moonstone healers when i can identify them quickly enough; however, i've seen some healers specifically take advantage of sharecads for shares. So, except those conscientious exiles who /share /lock before all hell breaks or on a large hunt, it's a bit of a disappointment from time to time for moonstoning healers, etc.

    At the same time, it *IS* useful because we do try to strive for efficiency as well as courtesy in sharing.

    That reminds me to go fix something...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. The fact that sharecads needs to exist illustrates a deficiency in the game. The game should work out of the box and any third-party add on that becomes a de-facto requirement needs to be assimilated by the game. Clan Lord needs to stop being a kit and start being a product.

    2. If GMs want to prevent botting in Clan Lord, removing @env.textlog is the first and easiest step. Every time I say that I'm met by incessant cries that this would be a catastrophe because it would break sharecads.

    3. As I understand it, the share-change timeout was added to prevent abusive share-toggling, not for balance reasons. A game-managed sharecads function could safely ignore the timeout and provide players a better experience.

    4. That sharecads is a de-factor requirement means that Clan Lord can't be 'fully' ported to the iPhone or iPad, where a macro language isn't possible. (Of course there are a *ton* of other problems with CL that would need to be fixed to make the game at all fun on a mobile device, and I've given up any hope of those, so this point is minor at best).

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like that items your thinking about also is missing the part where xp from share on big hunts for healers...thats kinda a BIG componet for a healer, since there is no other real way for them to get xp. please dont forget that.

    also the macro suport would be much better.

    @seankerwin.org
    i would agree with 1 first part, but
    removing @env.textlog would also disable other NON bot macros
    and the 4th point its never gonna get ported, understand that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. implmeting it into the game would be good but i dont think an ITEM would do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you made an item that would not need a share to improve healing efficiency you'd shortchange healers who depend on shares to get experience. It's important to not discourage sharing healers or else we'd see even less healers in-game. Because of this I'm all for an in-game @my.heals_in variable to track the last 5 healers to heal you using whatever tool they wish -- and it'd rock if you included a hook to allow bursters to get share as they're bursting so they don't lose a ton of health.

    If you removed @env.textLog I'd ask that you put in a @think_to.me variable so my my TC macro ( http://www.noivad.net/files/macros/tc_macro.txt ) wouldn't be killed in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's another long shot alternative for dealing with large groups that doesn't use an item, but makes use of healer and mystic shares. The basic idea is that you will effectively semi-share people that the targets of your primary shares are sharing with (although it is a bit more restricted than this.)

    Under my scheme:
    A share to Healer X propagates at reduced experience value and reduced healing efficiency value to all healers such that
    1) Healer X is sharing them
    or
    2) Healer X is sharing a mystic that is sharing them. (This is mainly so mystics still get healer shares. Also, it's cool.)

    Similarly, a share to Mystic Y propagates at reduced experience value and reduced mystic ability enhancement value to all mystics that Mystic Y is sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As others have said, you also have to consider the original motivation for the sharing-improves-efficiency restriction, that being encouraging you to share healers who are helping you, and thus rewarding them for that. One possible addition to get around that is requiring that the ability can only be active when you're sharing 5 healers. (Or only healers and mystics? I have trouble imagining mystics getting a huge / undue priority boost with a change like that...)

    It isn't perfect, as it doesn't directly encourage you to share experience with healers actively helping you, though.

    ReplyDelete