23 September 2010

Temporary Code

The ServerGM approached me this evening.  "I have a question about a script," he said.

I don't know if I possess the language to adequately describe the draining sense of fear that I experience when the All Knowing ServerGM comes to me with a question about a script.  My immediate, panicked assumption is that I touched a script and somehow broke it.  ServerGM proceeded to name the script and my anxiety increased: I had indeed touched some code back in V633.

ServerGM described the situation.  I shall spare you the boring technical details, but in summary a section of the script was propagating data changes to areas of the Clan Lord world.  What puzzled ServerGM was that this section was labeled as "temporary code."

"Temporary?" I asked.

"Yes, this code has been temporary since 2005," replied ServerGM.

After a brief discussion, it was evident that these changes needed permanent implementation.  The work involved could be done in one evening, and that's exactly what we did: I updated all of the game data which the script had been changing dynamically, and ServerGM retired the temporary code.  As of V672, the temporary data changes made by this script for the past five years shall become permanent.

While it's not my place to discuss what was changed, I will instead say that this evening was a great learning experience.  And it was a relief to know that I didn't break anything!

3 comments:

  1. lol as nerdy as the subject of this tale was, it is pretty damn amusing.

    haha temporary code since 2005.

    its was temporary like moving into your parents house "just for a little bit" and are there until you're 40 ;) well not quite that "temporary" but getting there!

    that code needed to get off their mom's couch in her sewing room in the basement.

    well done. way to give it that push into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its was temporary like moving into your parents house "just for a little bit"

    Ha! Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well ya never know temporary code may break the game if full placed in.

    ReplyDelete