07 April 2010

Grit Grinding

Today felt like a long day.

With Slarty's guidance, I spent a portion of my time polishing the reward script, and after that I worked alone on rewriting portions of a new quest that relies on the new content of the reward script.

The writing is the easy part.  It's the debugging that takes forever!  Not only do I need to ensure that my scripts are without technical errors, I need to insure that they are also without logic errors.  If, for example, I have an NPC offering 20c for a mug of beer, then what happens when I agree to sell the beer to the NPC, but then drink it myself?  Or /drop it on the ground?  Or sell it to another player?  Will the NPC faithfully give me the money for something that I no longer possess?  I suppose that it's all part of making good scripts: keeping the structure from falling down is more important than how many stories it has.

My eyes burn from reading all day.  The quest script could use some more polishing before releasing it into the wild, but it looks pretty good – at least from a technical standpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment