17 June 2010

Hit Me With Your Best Shot

My RL deadline was met a day early.  This was a great relief for me, and after a long day of work I relaxed this evening by running a small invasion the east field.

It's tricky running an invasion, as I can never predict on who will attend (although I have grown apt at predicting who will not attend).  It's a bit of a balancing act: I want to include enough low level monsters for the weaker exiles, but I also want to give the veterans a bit of a challenge.

When the mini-boss was discovered in the Orga Camp, I was very pleased to hear one player ask the other players to wait before killing the boss orga, allowing others to gather around and participate within the battle, taking their best shot at the boss.  This lead me to think of an idea: what if there was a monster whose reward grew in proportion to the number of people who hit it?  Such a monster would be a guaranteed slaughter when soloed, but it would be a dispatch when five people tagged it, a kill when ten people tagged it and a vanquish when 15 or more people tag it.  The idea behind this monster is that it rewards participation of larger groups.

Clan Lord isn't really designed to support this type of a reward payout, but I betcha I could rig one – which leads to the question is this good design?  I'll give this some more thought before giving it a shot.

1 comment:

  1. Well, considering no more than 10 people can get credit for hitting a creature (including boss monsters!), that would have to be fixed first.

    Actually, that would be very nice if the tag-list could be expanded. I remember many invasions where the Big Bad had been hit by so many people that half the people didn't even get credit for it! =(

    ReplyDelete