03 June 2010

Mobilizing Quests

I invested a lot of time adding and testing functionality to an existing script: I've enabled quest NPCs to walk around.  "That's not new," you may think, and you are correct – there are several quest NPCs that have the ability to move around.

In truth, I did the reverse: I took the "walk around" script that powers NPCs' motion and enabled that to support quests.  I did not enable quest NPCs to walk: I enabled walking NPCs to quest.  The last generation of GMs wrote some pretty good modular scripts, and all that was required on my part was to (1) realize that I could pair the walk-around script with the quest script, and (2) plug the connecting wires between the two scripts.

I'm so happy right now.  This opens some new quest ideas, and I'm very excited to utilize this functionality.

No comments:

Post a Comment