15 June 2010

One Step Up

I began reviewing one of the housing scripts.  Just as I had dreaded, this script is hard.  Fortunately for me, the authors of the script left some pretty good documentation so I was able to follow the procedures.

The particular problem that I am focusing upon involves housing mannequins.  There are two problems with them (well, three if you count a suggestion, which technically isn't a problem):
  1. They do not support /names. If you give your article of clothing a /name and then store it on a mannequin, you may have noticed that the name gets erased when retrieving the article of clothing.
  2.  Fighter belts (and I assume bard belts) do not display their colors properly upon mannequins. There also seems to be a bug where players who deposit their belts upon a mannequin take the belt colors of the mannequin, which appear to be black and white.
  3. All mannequins look like female sylvans and do not support other races/genders.  A suggestion has been made to support various races and genders, and this may require a bit of planning: if I can think of a simple way to do this then I will do it in a heartbeat (perhaps the simplest way to do it is have two mannequin sellers: one that sells the standard female sylvan style, and the other seller creates a mannequin based on the race and gender of the bumping player).  Consider this suggestion "on the list."
This script alone will keep me busy for the next couple of evenings.  The first step that I took on improving this script was to make a couple of light Socks touch-ups.  It was a small step – a baby step – but it was still a step forward towards resolving the problems with this script.

I hope that I don't come across problems that force me two steps back.

No comments:

Post a Comment