06 January 2010

Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard

Today was spent fixing one bug and setting up some quests.

I was nervous about the bug fix because it involves the system and I'm really nervous about doing anything that involves the system.  Timmer's rule of scripting is DO NOT BREAK THE BUILD. So yeah, I was nervous with reason.

I had two sets of experienced eyes look over my work and I got thumbs up from both individuals (thank you, both).  Suggestions for improvements were made and I wasted no time in incorporating all of them.  These suggestions concerned style and best practices which pleased me: my script was good, but it just needed a little polishing.  Now I have a solid script and I learned some good scripting habits too.

The bug fix was the easiest part of my day (and it was also the most time-intensive portion of my day), and I now move onto quests.  Naturally what I want to do isn't currently possible, so I need to rig some existing scripts to support my zany ideas (for example: making a NPC turn into a ghost at will – like those horridly annoying Lesser Spectres).  Wacky ideas like that need wacky script support.  Looks like it's going to be a long evening for me.

My head hurts from thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment