31 January 2010

His Girl Fordi

I've had this idea for a while about NPCs talking to each other.  I had envisioned NPCs sharing snappy banter, similar to that between Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell in the movie His Girl Friday.  NPCs can't do this currently*; they just stand around quietly and wait for someone to bump into them.  I want to change that, so I spent all afternoon developing a new script that will enable NPCs to converse between each other.  And when I say "developing," I really mean "designing."  I have a blueprint for how the script should behave, but I have not done any actual scripting.  I guess that currently categorizes the script as "vaporware."

I'm struggling a bit with how to prioritize this script.  I think that it's important enough to focus upon, for I could really utilize such a script.  I also think that it could blossom into a huge, labor-intensive project that would require more work than its yielded benefit.  I'll need to give this a little more thought; my availability for Clan Lord projects is diminishing, and as I mentioned earlier, I need to be smart on how I spend my time.

And while speaking about how one spends one's time: may I just express how simply amazed I am that His Girl Friday is available on YouTube?  Set aside 90 minutes and watch it.  Enjoy a great classic comedy.

*[Clarification edit: NPCs can't converse with each other in a way that I want.]

No comments:

Post a Comment