07 January 2010

Perspective

There have been some heated discussions on the Sentinel.  I admire the fact that people are still passionate about this game, and that folks still discuss its flaws and how to resolve them.  Sometimes I feel that this passion grows disproportionately to the topic, and there are times when I find myself getting caught up in the excitement of the debate.

And then there are times when I'll see something that puts this eleven year old game into perspective.

Today I drove to a seminar in New England.  It was cold and windy, and I was relived to be in a vehicle with working heat.  During the drive I passed the time stressing over Awaria, submission deadlines and a couple of upcoming quests.  While I waited at a traffic light, a man stepped into traffic and carried a sign: HOMELESS AND HUNGRY. PLEASE HELP.  He hunched into the wind as he walked the length of the cars at the light.  Suddenly my worrying over Awaria seemed so trivial and unimportant.

I think that sometimes it's easy to lose perspective on how privileged we are.  We have homes, we own computers, we have internet connections and we have the luxury of time for entertainment.

If worrying over Clan Lord is as bad as our day gets, then we're having a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment