11 January 2010

QUESTions

I have been developing one particular quest and I was becoming unhappy with the direction that it was taking.  Was this a good quest?  Was it a fun quest?  Is it a type of quest that players would look forward to doing?  Would it be a quest that would be avoided?

I took these questions to the fairgrounds and had a delightful chat with the players.  They had some great feedback on what makes a fun quest.  One player took this discussion in a step that I had not considered walking: include some quests which develop the story of Clan Lord's history and background.  I had been so focused on the technical aspects on quests that I had not given any thought to an enriching story.  This is so brilliant and so obvious that I am ashamed that I had not thought of it earlier.

We also chatted about events as quests: a simple short story that requires community involvement (like a NPC being captured and requiring rescue).  I found this surprising to hear because it was my sense that interest in these types of events had waned.  Short stories are probably one of the easiest things to do.  More stories and more events are now on the list.

Speaking of lists, here is a short list of topics that were discussed:
  • Shared quests (where all participants receive a reward)
  • Quests that develop CL's history
  • Expanded parcel quests
  • Single-use reward items
    • Items that summon monsters (make your own invasion)
    • Boosts and/or effects that last for X amount of time, like ethereal items or like butterfly kisses
    • Potions: expanded uses, and collect more ingredients
  • Smithing quests: smiths that create items involved within the quest (like making potions, but using a different set of skills. May be expanded to other trade skills)
  • Restricted quests ("You must be this tall to ride this quest" -- such as pathfinding as a quest requirement)
  • Boss quests (like ethereal item bosses)
  • Wandering trainers, merchants, and traders that need to be located and/or rescued
  • Assist NPCs in distress (like the Marsh Hermit surrounded by jade noids)
Thanks to all who attended and shared ideas.  The talk gave me a lot to think about, but better than that, it gave me direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment