21 March 2010

Evgus

I spent three hours today taking the fighter's circle test.

I was curious on what kind of training would be required to pass the fighter's circle tests, so I created a new character and tried.  I cheated a little, and created a special trainer to expedite the process: I trained exclusively with Evgus, who taught two ranks of Evus and one rank of Swengus.

The criteria that I set for myself was that I could not just pass the test, but I had to pass the test two out of three times.  On the times that I failed two out of three, I went and trained a little more and tried again.  Once I passed, I took a "snapshot" of myself, recording my statistics and rank totals, and then I moved onto the next circle test.

Why would I do this?  I now have a better understanding of roughly how many ranks of Evus (and Swengus) are required to pass the circle tests.  I think that I have an idea of how the 9th circle fighter test would look – at least in terms of Evus ranks.  I also have a better understanding for the feel for hunting areas: if I am designing an area for 3rd circle fighters, then I now have stronger knowledge of how many ranks that fighter should have, and how challenging the monsters should be.

There was probably a faster and simpler way to collect this data, but my way was a lot of fun.  I was surprised by Evgus's training ratio: it's really good!  Perhaps a variation of Evgus will turn up within the game one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment