23 March 2010

Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Although I was away from my computer for most of the day, I was giving a little thought to the design of a new area.  Specifically I was trying to classify tactics into Rock, Paper and Scissors.

I think that everyone is familiar with this children's game, and I always liked the simple design of it: regardless of what you selected, you had a chance of beating the other player, but you also had a chance of losing to that player depending on what you both chose.  Magic: the Gathering had a similar tactical design: one color of magic was particularly vulnerable to two opposing colors, such as red (the color of fire and destruction) struggled against the colors blue (the color of water and manipulation) and white (the color of healing and protection).

So how does this translate to Clan Lord?  That seems to be the design challenge.  What kind of CL-ish tactics could I design that has a balanced strength and a vulnerability?  I was thinking along the lines of this: if we had a monster of the Scissors family, then fighter who has a training in Rock should easily defeat that monster, while the fighter who trained Paper would typically struggle and fall while facing the Scissors monster.  A Scissors fighter would hold a stalemate against the Scissors monster.

I don't know how far I'll go with this concept, but it has been on my mind for the past couple of days and thinking about it has been keeping me both creative and entertained.

(And for those who don't know, today's title is taken from rockpapershotgun.com, which is a pretty good site for PC Games.)

No comments:

Post a Comment