02 March 2010

Musings: Open Source Quests

I have been considering compiling a list of syntax for some quests and releasing this information to helpers.

I have been approached by some helpers who wish to help develop content and who have had some great ideas for quests.  The problem has been that personal spare time has been dwindling for me, so some of these quests have been languishing "on the list."  However, if I were to give some instructions to the helpers on how to create a quest, then they could do the majority of the labor.

And so that I am clear: I would not be releasing the actual scripts, but just the basic options for the quest.  For example, one quest that I have been using as an introduction to quest writing is the package delivery quest found within the Puddleby Post Office.  It's a simple quest with simple options.  Just fill in the blanks and we have a quest!

The hard part is finding time to debug the submissions.  If the submission has spelling errors or requires a little more polishing, then I can always send it back to the submitter and request a fix.  Assuming that the quest passes muster, then it would be my responsibility to assign rewards and any other back-end script support to the quest.  I can't just release quest information without owning responsibility to handling subsequent questions and organizing submissions.  And that's the part that requires more thought.  How am I going to manage time that I don't have?

No comments:

Post a Comment