24 May 2010

The Other Side Of The Coin

Unlike yesterday, today was full of busy CL work.  Yesterday was kind of a tails-down day, and today was definitely a heads-up day.  Today, you see, was /bug day.

I spent the past eleven hours organizing and resolving bug cases.  Many of the cases that I closed today were simple "five minute" bugs – like fixing bad masking, covering-up unsightly gray areas as seen from the edge of a wall, and adding functionality to scripts.  I prefer addressing these cases quickly because I may then close them quickly.  Doing so gives me a sense of progress and achievement, especially when there is a list of 60+ new bug cases to address.

And then there are the bah-roken bugs.  The bug that am currently analyzing concerns an NPC who asks the bumping player a question followed by completely ignoring that player.  This NPC has the additional unpleasant, frequent habit of jailbreaking itself into areas in which it does not belong.  This rapscallion needs rehabilitation!

Resolving the issues with this one NPC will close two cases, which is why I chose to troubleshoot this script first.  I grow encouraged by closing out bugs, as long as the closure is addressed in good faith: it would be easy to close a case containing subject matter with which I do not wish to handle, but such practice only hurts myself, the individual filing the bug report, and the game in general.  The purpose of bug reports is to alert the developers "hey, I think that there's something wrong here," and closing the report for the sake of closing it benefits no one.

I still have development to do, too.  That can be done tomorrow.  Today is Monday, and Monday is /bug day.

No comments:

Post a Comment