18 May 2010

Putting the Donkey Before the Cart

I continued drafting the architecture for a new script this evening.  One amusing challenge I faced was describing the concepts that I am building.  I am including these descriptions so that other GMs reading the script will easily grasp my concepts.  I feel that this is important because there are many complicated scripts within the GM library that are terribly difficult to read, and the authors provided little or no documentation.  If scripts can not be clearly read, then their value is reduced.

I find myself including tongue-in-cheek analogies.  For example, instead of describing the technical process of selecting a data field and transporting it to a new location, I might instead describe the data as a cart and the means to transport it as a donkey.  Hook the cart to the donkey, place a carrot to where the donkey needs to go, and the donkey will charge off towards the carrot, dragging the cart behind it.  Such a analogy is unnecessary for a simple concept as moving data, but similar descriptions become useful when describing something like randomized data array pointers.

This level of planning is not particularly glorious, but it's helpful.  I suppose I'm putting the donkey before the cart.

No comments:

Post a Comment