01 July 2010

Electric /Bugaloo

I spent four hours today organizing and addressing the bug cases from V654.  I managed to organize around half of the open cases before having to stop for the evening.  Four hours is a long time for bug cataloging.  My eyes hurt.

Not that anyone asked, but a commonly filed bug case concerns pathfinding and loss of known paths.  Pathfinding, as I have previously mentioned, is a very complex script that goes far beyond a simple rank filter.  I should take another look at it, but in all honestly this script is just too complex for my level of scripting experience.  I consider myself a 2nd Circle scripter, and I would feel better if a more experienced GM were to review the whole pathfinding ball of wax (and its associated supporting scripts).

Another common case regards the balancing of hunting areas – it is felt that some areas are heavy on the challenge and light on the rewards.  I find this to be another set of challenging reports but for different reasons: I lean towards "generous" in my monster reward design, so I am a poor candidate to review area balances – or, depending on one's perspective, I may be the perfect candidate for such review.

I was capable of fixing some of the bugs as I read them, and closed them right away.  I like those bugs.  Some of the suggestions shall require more thought: for example, the kudzu merchant NPC requires the player to hold individual seedings in order to sell them, but the bakery merchant NPC can buy items right from the player's inventory.  Why can't the kudzu merchant do the same?  This is because the two NPCs are running two (very) different scripts, and for one to have features of the other requires significant rewriting of that script.  It can be done, but requires budgeting time.

I mention this to say yes, all cases are read and categorized.  Yes, all cases will be addressed in turn.  Believe in the beat.  They will get fixed.  "Soon!"

2 comments: