29 July 2010

Save Early, Save Often

The summer months are upon the residents of North America, as are the hot, humid days associated with it.  As the temperature rises, so does the need for energy, presumably to support the millions of simultaneously running air conditioners.  With this demand for energy comes the struggle to provide it, often resulting in brown-outs and black-outs.

Whilst writing a script for Clan Lord, I had the misfortune of experiencing a brown-out, which turned off every appliance in my home – including the computer on which I was writing the script.  This happened thrice throughout the day.

While I did lose changes that I had added to the script, the loss was not severe because I have a habit of frequently saving the documents on which I am working.  The habit is an unconscious one, bordering compulsive: when I add some changes to a document, I reflexively hit command-S.  I acknowledge that it's an odd habit to have, but today I am relieved that I practice such a habit.

I wonder if I can get a discount on my electricity bill for the frequent interruption of service.

4 comments:

  1. Code on a laptop. Or add a UPS…
    Best way to wade through power losses (and send the bill to your power company ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. that habit is a good one to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Code on a laptop.

    My laptop is awaiting a hard drive replacement, but that is a solid suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just rember what my freind used to do, he backs up on his pc then makes 2 cds of that back up keeps on in is house(away from is pc) and gives the other copy to his dad 2 streets down. hes not as bad as you then :D

    ReplyDelete