27 July 2010

Starcraft 2 and Real Time Strategy

I am glad that I do not play Starcraft.  The Starcraft 2 trailer looks totally bad ass, and the last thing that I want in my life right now is another way to waste time.

I have played the Warcraft series.  My take on these types of Real Time Strategy games is that they're not too dissimilar to farming kudzu while defending crops from Pazu-Ohwi: the player works towards a production goal (kudzu seedlings in this example) while warding off opponents that are trying to destroy the means of production.

It's fun, I suppose, if one enjoys that style of gaming.  I happen to find kudzu farming dreadfully dull.

2 comments:

  1. «I happen to find kudzu farming dreadfully dull.» Geo would kill me for that one but anyway.
    When fishing, you have a chance to actually retrieve a monster. I remember one day, during low clanning euro time zone getting a slime while fishing. With not many people around, that slime destroyed town center fairly quickly, but actually introduced some good fun for all players there. At other time, something much less powerful (winged snake or what not) was triggered. Maybe something similar could happen when slaughtering kudzu. Once in a while that would trigger some critter, of variable strength. Obviously, it should not happen too often, and because for lowbies, farming zu is often a good way to get some income, the spawned monsters shouldn't be too high level most of the time. But in my opinion, it would add some randomness that could remove some of the dullness… My 2 cents there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These RTS games actually really emphasize offense. If you're just building up and turtling, you're going to invest more than you need on static defenses or skimp out and not be able to get your forces to the point being attacked soon enough to prevent damage.

    SC2 in particular since units have high damage and everything has relatively low health. No turtling!

    ReplyDelete