28 February 2010

Bugs, Features and Opinions

A portion of my day was spent reading the bug logs and fixing bugs.

I find it gratifying to close out bug cases: fixing a bug means that there is one less thing wrong with Clan Lord.  One of the bugs that I fixed wasn't even in the bug log: a Sentinel reader had lamented over the hues used for white shoes and white hair, and I was pleased to address both of his concerns.  I even expanded the shoe store and threw in some new shoes colors for V642.

Many of the bugs that I fixed today were the simple "two minute" fixes.  Some of the bugs were masking problems, some bugs reported misaligned images, and some bugs were fixed in previous updates but the cases were never closed (I like those fixes).  And some bugs were labeled as suggestions which required a little more scripting work.  For example: the hunting preserve to the south of town is accessible only by newer exiles.  What happens when a new exile falls in there and there are no other new exiles to rescue the fallen in this area?  The fallen either waits for a rescue from someone able to enter these areas, or departs.  I have added a new option for V642: time.  Beginning next update, after a certain amount of time, fallens will teleport from the hunting preserve to a location where they may be rescued by non-newbie characters.

One of the things that I want to address is making Clan Lord more fun.  Falling in a hard-to-access area is, in my opinion, not fun.  As only young exiles can access this area, I feel that the overall new exile experience should be better than being trapped and fallen behind a locked gate.  I am moving forward with my project of improving the experience for new players, and this is one small improvement.  I would like to think that many small improvements make for a better game.

No comments:

Post a Comment