07 February 2010

Dances with NPCs

I saw the movie Avatar today.  I enjoyed it well enough, but I enjoyed it more the first time when I saw it under the title Dances with Wolves.  I wish that James Cameron's new film technology had a new story to go with it.

Thinking about Cameron's fancy digital movie technology lead me to think about storytelling technologies in Clan Lord.  I had mentioned earlier that I was designing a new script; I am moving forward with this storytelling tool in earnest.  I believe that it would be a great improvement to the game, and I could certainly make use of it.  The current NPC system works well enough, and I've managed to rig it so that there appears to be a little interaction between NPCs, but I'm not entirely satisfied with it.

It is my hope to get a bare-bones version of the storytelling tool up and running for V639.  Bells and whistles and shiny polish can follow on subsequent updates.  Then Puddleby may meet their own version of Neytiri – I mean Stands With A Fist.

No comments:

Post a Comment